Friday, December 10, 2010

The Fibromyalgia Crusade Awareness Bands

It is here! They have arrived! Our first The Fibromyalgia Crusade awareness item, a tri-colored silicone wristband and keychain, delivered today! I am overjoyed, I am excited, and I am nervous... This is the moment I have been working towards for months. All these blogs, all the relationships formed at The Fibromyalgia Fun House, all this passion I have been pouring into building an unstoppable awareness campaign will be tested. Are people really behind me? Do they believe in the cause? Have I proven myself a worthy leader, promising to head this charge of awareness to a global level? My mind swirls with the possibilities, the reality that this is the moment I will be truly tested. Will anyone buy these bands? Will people sport them with pride, finally feeling like they have the backing to go out into the world and scream "I have Fibromyalgia, it is real, and a bunch of us patients have banded together and are not going to be dismissed or doubted any longer!"? Only time will tell...

I created these custom bands to be representative of our three colors; Lilac, Mulberry and Amethyst. The colors we use to describe our pain and functioning levels on a daily basis. Our "code" to each other that clues us in to how we are feeling in mind, body and spirit. I wanted something different, eye-catching. I wanted bands that would stand out and make people ask, "What's that for?". I wanted conversation starters! And I think they do the trick. The Fibromyalgia Crusade is stamped into the varying shades of purple and the three colors blend into each other beautifully, providing a pretty good intro into the explanation of Fibromyalgia. But we have to have our response down pat! We cannot be fumbling for words, struggling to explain how some strange illness makes us feel individually. We need a sharp and crisp clinical definition that rolls off the tongue with ease. We are going to great lengths to increase public awareness and do not want to waste any opportunities to spread the news. For the more people that know the more seriously we will be taken.

Fibromyalgia Syndrome is a neurological disorder stemming from the central nervous system which causes a sensation of severe body pain, stiffness, fatigue, sleep disturbances, cognitive confusion/impairment and other debilitating symptoms. The cause is unknown and there is currently no cure with limited treatment options. The Fibromyalgia Crusade is an awareness campaign designed to unite the patient body into 1 strong voice and raise awareness of this illness to a global level. 

So let's see how this goes. The bands are latex-free, 8" in diameter. They fit my wrist loosely (which I like) and my husbands comfortably. The cost includes shipping and tax, so there are no "hidden fees", and you can use PayPal or any major debit or credit card. 5% of the profits will go to Fibromyalgia research, I just have not decided which organization yet. You will be supporting a great cause, spreading awareness and getting people to talk about it! After all, that is the whole point of an awareness campaign, isn't it?

Thanks for joining,


  1. Yay! Job well done indeed! Off to order....

  2. I also ordered, thank you so much. Sheila

  3. Hi Leah,
    I've ordered and received my bracelet and key rings. They are great! Good Job. I would like to know which fibro research organizations you decide on or are considering. I've been wanting to tell people who ask what I want for a gift whether it be for Christmas, Birthday or whatever to donate money to research for fibro, but I'm not sure which one to tell them and they wouldn't have a clue. If you could share some of your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. Keep up the good work and thank you.

    Debby Myers
    Nashville, TN

  4. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to research it. I want it to be the one that does the most for research on cause/cure... So glad you are enjoying the bands!


  5. Hi Leah,
    I am thrilled thatsomeone is standing up and doing something to increase fibro awareness, but I was a bit troubled to see that only 5% of the profits from the bands and keychains will go towards research. I would like to know where the other 95% of the profit is going? I understand that "profit" means money gained after costs are paid.
    Just wondering, would like to know where my money is going before I purchase my group's bands.

    Thank you,
    Carla L. Bridges