Thursday, May 6, 2010

Prescription Medications Good & Bad

I do not believe I have discussed prescription medications yet and have very definite opinions about many of the drugs the FDA has approved to treat Fibromyalgia, and others it is has not.

I currently take:
~Tricor (Hypertriglyceridemia)
~Neurontin (Neurotransmitters/Fibromyalgia)
~Welbutrin XL (Depression & Anxiety)
~Lexapro (SSRI Depression & Anxiety)
~Tramadol (Pain)
~Felxeral (Muscle Relaxer)

As needed:
~Xanax (Sleep & Anxiety)
~Valtrex (Viral Flare-Up)

...in addition to all the supplements (yes I know I am nuts!). In my opinion I am still on too many medications. The problem is that when I go off any of them all sorts 'o symptoms come flooding back. I took Lyrica and Cymbalta in the past and was not a fan of the side effects. At all. Neurontin is much better for low side effects but not nearly as effective in treating the pain. That is where the Tramadol and Flexeral come in. I am happy I have a non-narcotic way to treat my pain, but not happy with the amount of pain I still have remaining in my body. I was on Percocet and Vicoprofen for over a year and a half. I know the misery of relying on opiates for pain relief. Nausea, mood swings, constipation, need I go on? My newest problem is Sacroiliac Joint Disorder, where the joint at the base of the spine that connects to the hip freezes. I am stretching daily (3 times) and seeing a physical therapist. It hurts, it all hurts so much more with this pain sensitivity, yet is still getting better every day, I think.

Thanks for joining,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment